Monday, December 27, 2010

the gifts we're given

If each believer is gifted with something from God do you ever wonder what, with that gift, is their "un-gift". The thing that they struggle with the most?

There are teachers, and counselors, and encouragers and more. Each with their gift to build up the whole of them. A teacher speaks and practices what he preaches, a counselor listens and speaks only few words of wisdom, and an encourager shines his light upon the weary.

So perhaps an encourager has a hard time turning the light back around on himself, and a teacher isn't the best listener, and a counselor, though good at listening and giving advice, may not be the best at listening to their own.

Then the teacher needs the counselor, to listen and to remind them to do the same. And the counselor needs the teacher, to speak more than just words of wisdom, but also to tell a long story to build the counselors inquisition. And the encourager needs them both for the very gift the encourager has been given.

They all possess their own gift, and are in need of that of their friend.

They all need each other to use their own gift, these gifts that never stop giving.

This just comes from the thought that I feel my gift is not that of being a good listener.
If I were to make a new years resolution, it would be to simply listen more and turn the conversation around to others. To do that for a year and see what I learn. Perhaps it will be profound, perhaps not, but if ever I were to make a new years resolution, I believe that "to listen" is a simple thing that could alter a life and widen a heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment